Friday, April 17, 2009

Snow, snow and more snow!

I'm beginning to wonder if this will be the year with out a spring. Are we going to just straight from winter to summer? Are we going to have winter year round? Will it ever stop snowing? Why again did I move to Colorado????? Someone please come out here and smack me up side the head for that decision. I don't like cold and snow and yet I find myself at almost 7000 ft, sitting in the shadow of the Rockies.

We've had some nice days this year so far, but every time I finally allow myself to accept the fact that spring has arrived we get a monumental snowfall. Today, as I sit and type, mind you its mid April, we are in a winter storm warning with 15-22 inches predicted. I can't see the end of the drive, the wind is whipping the snow around like a child with a rag doll and the district did not call off school. I wonder if the kids will be able to make it back up the mountain this afternoon. If not, I guess they will spend the next night or two at Becca's apartment in town.

We decided to turn the furnace off this winter and burn only wood. I thought we had made it through the season, but as of today its cold and I'm out of wood for the wood burner. Due to the snow Steve is working from home. It's 56 in here, he is chilly and pestering me. He has stooped to suggesting I start on the furniture, log steps or perhaps even try to burn chicken eggs. I may have to resort to turning the furnace on.

One one nice day I hiked up the hill to the rock I call "the Altar" to sit, pray and think. I took the camera along and got a couple of nice pictures.



A cactus on the hill


After I've been sitting for a while, the birds start to come around again.



A view to the west from The Altar. The snow caps look so beautiful.


Another view, this time to the south


A nice hot fire in the wood burner


I think the birds are ready for spring too!


we live on the mountain in the middle of the picture about 3/4 of the way up.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous--but I definitely don't envy all the snow you've gotten this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness....those pictures are AMAZING!!!

    Thanks for sharing,

    Todd

    ReplyDelete