Monday, May 5, 2008

Work, Work, Work

The weekend was spent working around the place. We walked the driveway hoeing and digging out Russian, Milk and Canadian Thistles, and Wooly Mullein along the edges. Its a half mile down and back. Originally, mullein was brought over from Europe by early settlers. It was used as a medicinal herb in the treatment of cough and diarrhea. As thick as they are around here, I think I’ll pass on the medicinal benefits. Unfortunately, the tiny seeds can germinate after lying dormant for many decades, so I guess we’re in for an annual chore. I will choose to look on the bright side; at least I have the comfort of knowing I’ll be well stocked if I ever run into a problem that way. Ok well, once I figure out what to do with it.

The does are fattening up on all the grass and weeds. Clover was quite scrawny, but now has a belly almost equal to Piglet’s. They have nearly cleared the front yard. Later this week they will be moved to the area around the septic field; lots of nice lush growth there as well. The goats seem to be keeping the eagles away. I had read they would in an on-line article, but was skeptical. Hmm, guess they may be right. Since they’ve moved in, I’ve only seen an eagle once and it was just passing by at a high altitude.

The chicks have adjusted well to the move to the big house. The hens seem to be leaving them well enough alone at this point. I’ve been introducing them to the hens for the past couple of weeks, so I think they will do well together. I did provide them a hiding place in the coop so they can feel secure when they need to. They spent half the day yesterday hiding out there peeking around the corner on occasion to size up the scary big guys running around them. But finally they came out and wandered around enjoying the grass and a few early bugs. Today they have really become curious about life outside the coop and have expanded their range. My broody hen seems to be doing well. The other hens continue to lay eggs in her next box, causing her difficulties in setting on them all at once. I’ve pulled a few more eggs out from under her that were unnumbered, being laid after she started setting. She has been good to let me reach under her and check a few of them. She mostly squawks a low growl and acts like she may peck if I linger. Hopefully she will have a successful hatch. I figure they should hatch around the 17th. Tonight I’ll be getting the new chicks back from the one of the kindergarten classes. They hatched out 26. I still don’t know how many hatched from the other class.

I decided to take my chances and plant my sweet corn, carrots and Zucchini today. Even though our official frost date is May 30th, the 15 day forecast puts us above freezing every night, so I figure I’ll take my chances. The carrots can take a light frost, and I can always water and cover the others if the weather looks sketchy. It’s supposed to rain later today, so I figured it would be good to get it in the ground and get a nice rain on it. Oh how I love the taste of home grown sweet corn. I’m planting four and a half 35’ rows of Kandy King Hybrid. At two ears per plant that’s 300 ears or 75 meals. I may need to get another freezer! I decided April 1st to quit grocery shopping and prepare meals from our stash for a while to make room for fall’s harvest and processed broilers. I’ve only made a small dent in my pantry so far, but my budget appreciates it.

Josh and his friend Cory moved the trailer up from along the driveway to behind the coop. It was a building trailer left by the previous owner and will make a nice place for a horse. It has a “tack shed” side with a window and enough room for equipment as well as many bales of hay. The other side will easily accommodate a horse. Now to jack it up, unbolt it from the trailer, and position it on a foundation and slab. That is a future project.


Photobucket
Peas popping up in the garden.

Photobucket
Getting ready to plant a row of corn. Potatoes are off to the right. Still waiting for those to show.

Photobucket
Two of the babies that moved out to the coop over the weekend. Both are half Araucana.
Photobucket
The broody hen. A bit unhpappy after I stole a few mislaid eggs from under her. She kinda looked like she was counting them.

Photobucket
My roo, a beautiful Rhode Island Red.

No comments:

Post a Comment