Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Old Man Winter

Old man winter is attempting to hold on as long as he can. We awoke to a couple inches of snow this morning. As I lay in my warm bed contemplating getting up, I could see a sliver of white peeking into the room through the small crack between the window and the blinds. I arose and peered out to see a steadily-falling wet snow had covered every rock, tree and blade of grass on the mountain. As beautiful as it was, I wish old man winter would relinquish his grip and let spring dress the mountain in all her fine splendor. It is mid May after all.

Thanks to a hefty gust, the Quonset hut I had setting behind the chicken coop was resting upside down in the creek. I tried to drag it back up and out, but kept sliding back down the slippery bank; mud mixed with snow caked onto my jeans as I slid down time and time again. The cold wet snow was still falling, making my hair wet and chilling me to the bone. I gave up, figuring I need a little mechanical help. I’ll hook it up to the truck and pull it out in a couple days once things have dried up a bit. What was I thinking? The banks are a good 15 feet high there. Easy in, not so easy out.

Steve took the day off and we headed into town to run some errands. I had a contract job to do and a Craigslist item to pick up. Steve had an interview to conduct, so I hit a couple of thrifts while he was busy with that. I’m happy with my recent Craigslist find, a Ralph Lauren, King-sized feather bed. Did I mention Free? I have one, but the kids usually fight over it come November; so now we have solved that problem. “It belonged to my ex.” she explained, the pain evident in her eyes as they peeked out between her long wispy bangs. “He moved out and didn’t take it along, I want it gone.” Happy to help unload a bad memory while simultaneously gaining a feather bed, I loaded it in the back of the jeep and we drove off to the next errand.

After several more stops it was mid-afternoon and we headed home. The snow had mostly melted, making the road up the mountain a soupy mess. The mud was a good 6 inches deep in spots, had we not had 4WD we would never have made it up. It was a little unnerving as we slipped and slid around, knowing that in several places, just four or five feet away, was the edge of the road and a 200 foot drop. We made it safely home safely.

I tossed the feather bed in the cow tank with some homemade laundry soap and a small amount of bleach. I’m sure bleach is not the greatest thing for feathers, but I would just feel gross sleeping on or under it if I didn’t. I got out my antique laundry plunger and began plunging away. Steve came out with the camera and snapped a picture. He laughed when I asked “What’s with the camera? You act like you’ve never seen me do laundry before.” I thought it was heavy before I put it in the water…it was virtually impossible to get out of the tank once it was washed. Em and I wrestled it out inch by inch, wringing the water out as we went. It’s still sitting in the laundry basket draining. I’ll hang it on the line as soon as I can lift it!


Photobucket
Cleaning the feather bed. I don't look too happy about it. Intense concentration!

Photobucket
Some of my homemade laundry soap. Finely ground soap from the bars I made several months back mixed with a little borax

Photobucket
We had a brilliant, full double rainbow over the house, but I couldn't seem to capture it all in a picture. It stretched from one horizon to the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment