Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Weekend

Friday I met Melissa & Rachael for lunch. We had a nice time. I then took Rachael to the thrift store for a quick shopping trip. She wanted to go with me to the airport to pick Uncle Steve up from his China trip, but I talked her into the thrift next door to the cafe instead. She was excited to find a dish set still in the original box and shrink wrap. It was a deal at .99 so I gave her some money and she paid the man and proudly brought it home.

Saturday I picked up some heirloom garden seeds from a guy off Craigslist. I'm excited to get my garden started.  I got 19 different varieties of seeds from watermelon to squash to green beans, carrots, leeks, tomatoes and a few things in between. I've got a lot of work ahead of me between now and harvest. One of the first items on the list is to get the garden area marked off and put a fence up around it to keep the deer and rabbits out.  I've got another connection from Craigslist for a pretty unlimited supply of composted manure to get a good base going. The ground has a dozen or more boulders sticking up a foot in the air, and I'm sure it's just the tip of the boulder so to speak. I will have to do raised beds if I plan to grow anything. It's still a little early at this point. I'd like to start a few things indoors, but I need a heat mat or similar to keep the seeds from rotting. I've thought about just using the heating pad, but I think its best to wait till the time is right. 

Steve has been slow to recover from jet lag, he slept a bit today. Hopefully tomorrow he will feel like himself again. We hung out at church this afternoon and watched the first half of the Super Bowl. Em wasn't feeling well today, so we came home at half time. Tomorrow its back to school and work for everyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment