Friday, February 22, 2008

The trip to RMNP

It seems the weather has decided to give in to time’s forward march; days are becoming slightly warmer and the sun comes out much more often, warming the farmstead with its rays. The chicks have graduated out to the garage. They were in a box in the master bath till they realized life exists outside the box. I could no longer keep them contained to their known world, so they are in a 12’ swimming pool in the garage. Freedom has expanded their feistiness; I managed to capture a nice picture of a couple of the roos sparring. The Chicks I hatched last summer from my sister Julie’s hens’ eggs have started laying, the tiny pullet eggs are so cute. I think I ended up with only 2 roosters from that batch, what great odds!

In a nearby town there is a renowned goat dairy, their cheese used around the world, a secret blend of seven different breeds’ milk. Through a relative of a friend I may be privileged to purchase a couple of their does for the farm here. I have wanted to find a couple of nice milking goats so fingers crossed, it may happen soon. If so, I will put a door in the chicken coop and wall off a portion for them, with a pen on the outside and plans to tie them out during the day to graze. I’m looking forward to the opportunity to make butter, cheese and soap.

Steve had Monday off, but the kids had to work, it was turning out to be a pretty nice day, so we took Em up to Rocky Mountain National Park with plans to do a bit of hiking. Turns out temps were in the low 20s with winds near 40 mph there, so we didn’t get much of a chance to hike. We jumped out here and there to snap some pictures and try not to get blown away in the gusts. Although it was too chilly to hike, it was still a fun time. At one point a gust came up just as I was taking a step, I was literally blown off my feet. The Christmas classic echoes through my head, “Good thing bumbles bounce.” My neck was sore for a few days from the snap as I landed, but otherwise I walked away unhurt.

I met Melissa & Rae for Breakfast today, returning Gato the dog to them. I still laugh at Rae’s sense of humor in her choice of names. My faith taught me you don’t call the cat if you want the dog; however I guess this is an exception to that rule. Our pastors Mickey & Scott happened to drop in for a cup of coffee while we were there, so we got opportunity to chat for a few moments before heading out the door and back to the day’s tasks.

Taxes are almost done; we’ll be getting a refund, hot dog. Last year we owed quite a bit, but this year we have the mortgage, so that softens the tax blow a bit. However, I’ll dance a jig the day we have the place paid off, I can’t see paying the bank a dollar to get .25 back from the government. A nice barn is on my short list of improvements as soon as that happens, but unfortunately that’s a ways down the road.

Photobucket
Em posing on a rock between gusts

Photobucket
The effects of the wind on the snow caps, a beautiful sight.

Photobucket
I'll never tire of the beauty, its just incredible.

Photobucket
The newest rooster chicks setting up pecking order.

No comments:

Post a Comment